Kerim Abbasov: Confident ascent to photo heights
INTERVIEWS 29 September 2022 - 10:28
Baku has always been famous for its unique photo artists. Such luminaries as Rubenchik, Litvin, Khairullin, Deghati have always been well-known and famous far beyond the borders of Azerbaijan. Unfortunately, most of these masters are no longer with us, and at one time it seemed that the world of photography in the republic had become very impoverished and lowered to the level of wedding photo shoots. However, new stars have already sparkled in the sky of Azerbaijan photo art. We will talk today with one of them, the young and talented photographer Kerim Abbasov
- Tell us a little about yourself - where you were born, when, and where you studied?
- I was born on November 25, 1990, in the beautiful city of Baku, the "City of Winds". I received my secondary education in this city. Baku's former appearance and antiquity gave me good impressions. I wanted to immortalize the beauties I saw. Unfortunately, I didn't have a professional camera at that time. Despite this, I began to focus on photography and the art of photography. I did not know at that time that I would choose the field of photography in the future and specialize as a photographer. Although I have been in this art for years, I think that a professional background is essential. It is a pity that we do not have professional photography schools, nor do we have photography specializations in universities. However, in the near future, I will start studying photography at one of the foreign higher education institutions. Although I have awards, diplomas, and certificates in photo competitions, a diploma of higher education in photography seems to be out of place. Therefore, it is necessary to fill this gap. This is one of my goals and objectives to have a document on my art. (laughs)
- Do you remember the first picture in your life? What camera did you take it with?
- I bought my first professional camera in 2014. I was working at the time and saved up my money to buy a Canon 6D camera. After that, I bought another camera. Although the first one I bought is already worn out, I still keep it because that camera is dear to me. First, because I got it through my own hard work. The second is that most of what I have achieved today is because of the photos I took with that camera. Thirdly, you need to earn money to buy a new device. That camera also helped me earn an income. Let me tell you, a camera is not just a thing. It's my closest friend, dear to my heart.
When I bought the camera, the first place I visited was Inner City (Icheri Sheher). I love Baku very much. Mainly our Inner City. And I took my first photos there. I was also testing the camera. Even now, I sometimes go there when I have time and shoot. I always wanted to have an office in the Icheri Sheher. I go out there every day and take beautiful photos.
- Basically, you show Baku with great love in your photographs, are you really in love with our ancient, and at the same time modern, city?
- Yes, as I mentioned earlier, I love Baku very much. Not because I myself, my father, and my grandfather were born here. It is mainly due to the history that lives in every stone, every corner of this city. I have always wished that Baku, by preserving its history and at the same time synthesizing it by adding modernity, would take a place among the most beautiful cities. Taste plays an important role in architecture, and everything for Baku should be carried out with great taste. For example, the building of the Heydar Aliyev Center has stunning architecture. Photos taken in front of this Center and next to it are aesthetically very beautiful. But when you add a little artistry to it, the photos get more classy. Let me also say that the photos I took in front of the Heydar Aliyev Center always brought me success. I have won many awards. It brought success not only to me but to all Azerbaijani photographers. Last year, a photo competition between countries of the world was held in France. Azerbaijan was represented in this photo competition by Gilavar Photo Club. The subject presented by our photographers was photos of the building of the Heydar Aliyev Center taken from different angles. We were represented in the competition by 20 photos. I also had two photos. And according to the final scores, Azerbaijan ranked first among more than 40 countries and was awarded an honorary award in the name of our country. I can show you that award. This was a great success for us, Azerbaijan photography, as well as a team.
- I am personally very interested in macro photography, but have you ever tried yourself in this genre?
- There are many genres of photography. One of them is the macro genre. Honestly, it's very interesting. But I haven't shot anything in this genre yet. Maybe one day I will try myself in this genre. I mostly take photos in the street genre. I have developed myself in this direction. I am still developing, working on myself, and studying. The street genre is one of the most difficult ones. I mostly prefer geometry and minimalism in this genre. Of course, building composition is also in its place. Unlike other genres, you don't build the composition in advance, you form it in your head according to the circumstances. Sometimes you need hours or even days to take a photo.
But I must say that photos taken in the street genre have also brought me great success. Let me share one example with you. Some time ago I was working on a photo stock website. One day I painted paintings on Baku buildings. Of course, in a completely different form and perspective. It was widely shared on social networks and liked by everyone. The next morning, I received a phone call from a television channel saying we want to see you live. I accepted the offer and participated in the program. When you take a photo, you have to breathe life into it. Then it will be successful and will bring you good luck.
- Some masters find black and white photography more expressive. Do you share their opinion?
- Black and white or monochrome photos are like another world. Such photos have their own view. Sometimes it happens that photographers make photos in black and white when they cannot set the colors and balance correctly. In other words, they hide the flaws in the photo. But each black and white photo has its own world. You can't make every photo black and white. When taking such photos, it is necessary to establish the correct color balance and make an appropriate composition. If you do this right, the photos will be brilliant.
- Recently, you have been participating in various photo contests a lot. Tell me about your successes.
- I have been participating in photo contests for several years now. Lately, I've been winning more awards. (laughs) I used to participate only in local photo contests. Sometimes the photos I submitted for the contest were left unattended. In many cases, there was no objective evaluation and selection. Speaking of objective assessment, the local judges did not know exactly what parameters they were evaluating. Because there are certain rules and conditions that must be followed. But one day, my very close friend, photographer Rashad Mehdiyev, suggested I try myself in foreign photo contests. To be honest, I didn't take risks before. However, I joined. My photos have participated in competitions and exhibited in about 30 countries of the world.
I won a prize in the very first competition. Among hundreds of professional photographers, out of thousands of photos, my photo was among the winners. My first international award made me so happy. Thus, I joined several international photo contests and grabbed awards. Sometimes it happened that I was left without a reward. Participation in competitions was commercial. Later, the Gilavar Photo Club was established. Rashad was one of its founders. This club began to host such international competitions in Azerbaijan. Of course, I already participated in such contests more enthusiastically. I received several awards - medals, diplomas, and certificates at a competition. According to the rules, if your photo wins the competition, the photo will be published in the catalog and displayed in the exhibition in that country. Currently, the number of awards I have won in international photo contests is more than 50.
But the work did not end only with receiving awards. İ gained some international experience. It was necessary to set new goals. I received my first international photography degree in 2019. I still have the status of the only photographer who received an international photo degree in Azerbaijan at a young age. This title was also a responsibility. Currently, I have 5 international honorary titles in the field of photography. This year, I am close to receiving another honorary title. At the end of the year, I nearing to be awarded the honorary title of the International Photographic Art Federation recognized by UNESCO and a photo club from Turkey. Apart from this, work continues toward receiving the honorary titles of two more world-famous photo organizations: The Photographic Society of America and the Global Photographic Union.
Of course, the role of the public association Gilavar Photo Club in the achievement of all these successes, as well as that of other Azerbaijani photographers, is undeniable. By the way, let me say that the general meeting of the club was recently held and I was elected a member of the Club's Management Board.
Baku-Yerevan peace treaty by yearend: expectations and reality Expert opinions on Caliber.Az
Expert: Serbs have heard a very important message from President Aliyev Caliber.Az from Belgrade
"Russia won't act against Azerbaijan even at Armenia's request" Caliber.Az interview with Alexander Vorobyov
Ex-minister: Georgia still hasn't made clear choice between West and Russia Caliber.Az interview with Gia Nodia
What awaits the world if Trump's political "reincarnation" were to happen? Simons' and Felshtinsky's predicitions on Caliber.Az
Who will Astana bet on in their multi-vector approach: Moscow or Beijing? Or a U-turn towards the West..
After me, the deluge? The post-Khamenei Islamic Republic
24 November 2022 - 18:10
How would another round of deadly hostilities affect the peace process in Karabakh? Hot winter in South Caucasus
25 November 2022 - 16:20
Azerbaijani intelligence records military equipment moving into Russian peacekeeper's areas
24 November 2022 - 12:02
World Cup 2022: Why Argentina defeat to Saudi Arabia is bad news for England
24 November 2022 - 03:04
Azerbaijan and Serbia relations gain new impetus Baku’s pivot to the Balkans
24 November 2022 - 15:43
Malawi's vice president arrested on corruption charges
27 November 2022 - 03:05
Xi tells Kim China wants to work with North Korea for peace: KCNA
27 November 2022 - 02:04
Ukraine to send grain to starving African countries for free
27 November 2022 - 01:01
Macron to raise US subsidies in talks with Biden next week
27 November 2022 - 00:02
China reports record-high new daily coronavirus cases for third straight day
26 November 2022 - 23:00
US bans Huawei, ZTE equipment sales citing national security risk
26 November 2022 - 22:00
NYT: US set up Ukrainian artillery repair facility in Poland
26 November 2022 - 21:00
World Cup: Neymar, Danilo out of Brazil’s next match due to ankle injury
26 November 2022 - 20:00
The Times: Small nuclear power plants in UK to replace gas in quest for net zero
26 November 2022 - 19:00
Pakistani PM expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani President
26 November 2022 - 18:02
Cuban president hails excellent ties between Havana, Beijing
26 November 2022 - 17:44
Azerbaijani President signs order on conscription for military service
26 November 2022 - 17:34
Venezuelan delegation arrives in Mexico for talks with opposition
26 November 2022 - 17:25
President Aliyev approves laws on establishment of Azerbaijani embassies in several countriesIncluding Israel
26 November 2022 - 17:05
Minister: Italian authorities should ask EU for delay in imposing embargo on Russian oil
26 November 2022 - 17:02
President’s special rep: Azerbaijan may implement projects in five spheres in East Zangazur, Karabakh
26 November 2022 - 16:43
Kazakh president announces Senate election date
26 November 2022 - 16:23
President: Efforts of destroying Ukraine with hunger, now with darkness, cold - futile
26 November 2022 - 16:05
Azerbaijani FM, EU special rep discuss efforts to normalise ties with Armenia
26 November 2022 - 15:47
Azerbaijanis living in Europe protest against putting anti-Azerbaijani resolution for vote
26 November 2022 - 15:31
Azerbaijan strengthening potential of Middle CorridorReview by Caliber.Az
26 November 2022 - 15:15
Minister: Türkiye to hold ground operation in Syria as soon as possible
26 November 2022 - 14:58
Azerbaijani, Russian leaders discuss trilateral agreements on Karabakh
26 November 2022 - 14:52
Azerbaijan’s positions undergo fire from armed Armenian groups
26 November 2022 - 14:47
Israel shares intelligence dossiers on Iranian arms exports to Russia
26 November 2022 - 14:41
Participants of conference on geopolitics and security of Middle Corridor visit Aghdam
26 November 2022 - 14:27
President Aliyev's son Heydar ties knotPHOTO
26 November 2022 - 14:20
Polish PM arrives in KyivPHOTO
26 November 2022 - 14:10
Geneva hosts conference on challenges of landmines in Azerbaijan
26 November 2022 - 13:47
Ambassador of Ukraine thanks Azerbaijani people for support
26 November 2022 - 13:32
UK intel: Russia removing nuclear warheads from ageing missiles, firing unarmed munitions at Ukraine
26 November 2022 - 13:13
Azerbaijan intercepts UAV of illegal Armenian armed groupsDefence Ministry's statement; PHOTO
26 November 2022 - 13:10
WSJ: Fearing sabotage, Europe patrols pipelines with mine hunters and unmanned subs
26 November 2022 - 12:56
VP: Azerbaijan, Türkiye support normalisation of ties with Armenia
26 November 2022 - 12:36
Armenia's Security Council secretary to visit France and Germany
26 November 2022 - 12:22
Turkish Kızılelma-TB3-TCG Anadolu to be exemplary for whole worldWestern media analytics
26 November 2022 - 12:01
ISW: Reports of poorly staffed Russian mobilised personnel dividing Russian information space
26 November 2022 - 11:42
Azerbaijani Defence Ministry refutes Armenia’s disinformation
26 November 2022 - 11:28
Swedish PM Kristersson pledges to meet Türkiye's demands
26 November 2022 - 11:24
Turkish FM hails work to supply Azerbaijani gas to South-Eastern European countries
26 November 2022 - 11:02
Russia drafts decree banning oil sales to price cap participants
26 November 2022 - 10:46
Assistant to Azerbaijani first VP visits MexicoPHOTO
26 November 2022 - 10:25
"We stand by brotherly Armed Forces of Türkiye in the fierce fight against terrorism"Defence Minister Zakir Hasanov offers condolences to his Turkish counterpart
26 November 2022 - 10:05
Inauguration ceremony of Kassym-Jomart Tokayev begins in Kazakhstan
26 November 2022 - 09:59
President Aliyev: If you have strong army, good allies then you can feel yourself on safe sidePHOTO/VIDEO/UPDATED
26 November 2022 - 09:50