Shocking reports of civilian executions in Sudan's Khartoum trigger UN outrage
The United Nations has strongly condemned reports of extrajudicial killings taking place in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, which was recaptured by Sudanese military forces last month. These killings, allegedly targeting civilians, have been widely reported by local human rights organizations.
Volker Türk, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, expressed his shock over the disturbing reports coming from Khartoum after the city was retaken by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) on March 26, Caliber.Az reports via Arab media.
"I am deeply shocked by credible reports of numerous cases of extrajudicial killings of civilians in various areas of Khartoum, suspected of collaborating with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF)," Türk said in a statement.
He went on to call on the Sudanese Armed Forces to take immediate steps to stop the arbitrary killing of civilians. "I urge the Sudanese Armed Forces to take immediate measures to put an end to the arbitrary deprivation of life," Türk stressed.
The UN Commissioner's office has reviewed several harrowing videos shared on social media since March 26. These videos, filmed primarily in the southern and eastern parts of Khartoum, show armed individuals, some in uniform and others in civilian clothing, executing civilians in cold blood in public places. "In some of the videos, the perpetrators claim that they are punishing supporters of the RSF," Türk noted.
The conflict between the Sudanese army, led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the RSF, commanded by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, has been ongoing since April 2023. The RSF was initially a paramilitary group that fought alongside the government before splintering and turning into a rival force.
Following intense fighting over the past few months, Sudan's military declared last week that it had regained full control over Khartoum after weeks of clashes with the RSF and its allies. However, RSF leader Daglo denied the army's claims, stating that his forces had merely "relocated" and were not defeated.
Meanwhile, an activist group reported a devastating toll from the violence near Khartoum. The Sudanese Resistance Committee said that in the week leading up to the latest clashes, RSF militants, known as "Janjaweed," killed at least 85 people during their attacks on villages south of the capital. "For the seventh consecutive day, the 'Janjaweed' militias continue their brutal attacks on villages... west of Jebel Awlia, resulting in more than 85 deaths and dozens of injuries," the committee said, referencing the RSF by the name of its predecessor.
The situation in Sudan continues to deteriorate, with both the army and the RSF accused of widespread human rights violations as the country remains embroiled in violence and political instability.
By Tamilla Hasanova