Iranian drones take aim at Barzani’s office in Erbil UPDATED
Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Masrour Barzani has confirmed that his personal office and the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region’s Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drones.
In a statement posted on X, Barzani said the attacks took place earlier on August 17 and were confirmed following an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Unit.
“Following an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Unit, my personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks earlier today,” Barzani said.
He described the attack as a serious escalation and a threat to the region’s security and stability.
“I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms. This is a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region. These attacks will not deter us from carrying out our duties and protecting our citizens -mb.”
13:17
Two attack drones launched from Iran targeted the office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the head of the Region’s security agency in Erbil province’s Pirmam district early on August 17, Kurdish counterterrorism forces said. No casualties were reported.
According to Rudaw, the Directorate General of Counter Terrorism (CTD), affiliated with the Kurdistan Region Security Council (KRSC), said in a statement that “two explosive drones of the Hadid-110 type were launched from the Iranian side of the border toward the headquarters of the Kurdistan Region Prime Minister’s private office and the residence of the director of the Security Council in Erbil province’s Pirmam district. Fortunately, the attack caused no casualties.”
The CTD condemned the overnight attacks, calling them “completely unacceptable”. It warned that “those responsible for carrying them out bear full responsibility for the consequences.”
Prime Minister Barzani said on X that he condemned the “reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms. This is a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region.”
He said the attacks “will not deter us from carrying out our duties and protecting our citizens.”
The attacks came days after Barzani told Al Jazeera that Erbil did not want to become involved in the US-Iran war, describing attacks on the Kurdistan Region by Iran and its proxies in Iraq as “unjustified.”
He said the Region had been attacked by Tehran and Iraqi militia groups more than 1,000 times. The attacks have killed 32 people and wounded 154, according to Rudaw tracking.
Attacks also came a day after US news outlet Axios reported that Washington had turned to Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani earlier this year to serve as a diplomatic contact point with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
Kurdistan Region officials have repeatedly said the Region is not a party to the conflict and have called for an end to attacks on its territory.
By Aghakazim Guliyev







