China slams US tariffs, vows counter-measures
China has strongly condemned the United States' new tariff measures, calling them a violation of international trade rules and vowing to take "resolute counter-measures" to protect its own economic interests.
The statement follows an announcement by US President Donald Trump, which analysts have labelled the most severe tariff hikes in over a century, Caliber.Az reports via foreign media.
The Chinese Ministry of Commerce described the tariff increases as "subjective and unilateral," accusing the US of undermining the legitimate rights of the countries targeted. A spokesperson said that such actions represented a "typical unilateral bullying practice," noting that many nations had already expressed "strong dissatisfaction and clear opposition" to the move.
Trump’s tariffs include a baseline rate of 10% for all countries, with steep increases for specific nations: 34% on China, 20% on the European Union, 46% on Vietnam, and 32% on Taiwan. This is in addition to the existing 20% tariffs on Chinese imports, pushing the effective rate on China to 54% from 9th April, closer to Trump’s campaign pledge of a 60% tariff.
Experts have warned that the changes could significantly impact global growth. Tai Hui, APAC Chief Market Strategist at JP Morgan Asset Management, said that the new tariffs could raise US average tariff levels to “levels not seen since the early 20th century.” Morgan Stanley’s Robin Xing described the potential impact on China as “significantly higher and more pervasive” than the previous trade war, with estimates suggesting a hit to China’s GDP by 0.5 to 1 percentage point.
China is expected to respond with forceful countermeasures, which could extend beyond tariffs and target US companies operating in the country. Stephen Olson, a visiting senior fellow at Singapore’s Yusof Ishak Institute, said both countries are heading for a negotiating table to discuss a broader settlement, although tensions are expected to escalate before any resolution is reached.
The tariff measures have sparked a swift international backlash. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney vowed to fight back "with purpose and with force," revealing plans for counter-measures to be announced on April 3. South Korea’s acting President, Han Duck-soo, ordered emergency support for industries set to be affected, particularly the automobile sector, and will seek to negotiate with the US to reduce the impact.
Australia’s Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, criticised the tariffs as a "poor decision" and said they did not reflect the actions of a "friend," though he ruled out retaliating with similar levies. Japan’s trade ministry has set up a task force to assess the consequences of the tariffs, which will impose a 24% duty on Japanese exports, with the auto industry expected to be hit hardest.
In Thailand, Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra stated that his government would take immediate action to mitigate the impact of the 36% tariff on manufacturers and exporters, while preparing for talks with the US. The European Union has also indicated that it will introduce countermeasures if negotiations with Washington fail, with President Ursula von der Leyen pledging continued efforts to ensure a fairer global trading system.
By Aghakazim Guliyev