Macron urges restart of Iran talks after calls with Pezeshkian, Trump
French President Emmanuel Macron has called for an immediate resumption of negotiations and a de-escalation of regional tensions following recent contacts with Iranian and US leadership, while proposing a coordinated international maritime security initiative.
In a post on X, Macron said he had spoken “yesterday” with Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian and US President Donald Trump, urging both sides to restart diplomatic engagement after talks previously suspended in Islamabad.
“I urged the resumption of the negotiations suspended in Islamabad, the clearing up of misunderstandings, and the avoidance of any further escalation,” Macron wrote.
He stressed that any ceasefire must be fully respected and expanded in scope. “It is essential, in particular, that the ceasefire be strictly respected by all parties and that it include Lebanon,” he said.
Macron also called for the unconditional reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping route, saying it should be restored “without restrictions or tolls, as soon as possible.”
“The Strait of Hormuz be reopened unconditionally… as soon as possible,” he added, underlining the urgency of restoring freedom of navigation.
Looking ahead, Macron said negotiations could restart quickly “under these conditions,” provided there is backing from key stakeholders.
He also announced that France and the United Kingdom will jointly host a conference in Paris on Friday, bringing together non-belligerent countries via videoconference.
The meeting, he said, will focus on a potential multilateral and “purely defensive mission aimed at restoring freedom of navigation in the strait when security conditions allow.”
By Aghakazim Guliyev







