twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2026. .
WORLD
A+
A-

Rubio: "Project Freedom" halted at Pakistan's request

18 May 2026 10:34

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said that the suspension of “Project Freedom,” a U.S. military operation to escort commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, was carried out at the request of Pakistan.

“The reason why Project Freedom stopped was at the request of Pakistan. The Pakistanis said, ‘If you guys stop Project Freedom, we think we can get to a deal.’ We went ahead and agreed to stop it,” Rubio said in an interview with NBC News

Earlier this month, President Donald Trump announced that the operation would be halted, citing “great progress” toward a comprehensive agreement with Iran, while maintaining pressure over the Strait of Hormuz blockade.

However, subsequent developments suggested the diplomatic process stalled, with Trump later describing Iran’s proposed peace plan as “totally unacceptable.”

“Project Freedom” was launched on May 4 and involved U.S. military plans to escort commercial shipping through the strategic waterway amid heightened regional tensions. On the night of May 6, Trump announced the suspension of the operation, citing ongoing diplomatic efforts with Tehran.

By Sabina Mammadli

Caliber.Az
Views: 160

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
WORLD
The most important world news
loading