Sensing mortality: Pope Francis moves quickly to cement reforms and influence conclave amid illness
Pope Francis, deeply concerned about his health after being hospitalized for severe bronchitis, is urgently moving to secure his legacy and prepare for the potential battle over his successor.
The 88-year-old pontiff, who has faced a series of health crises, was admitted to Rome's Gemelli Hospital earlier this month with a respiratory infection, leading him to cancel several public appearances, Caliber.Az reports citing Politico.
This hospitalization marks the latest in a series of health challenges for Francis, who had part of a lung removed as a young man and has become increasingly frail in recent years. The Holy See’s press office has provided ongoing updates, revealing that the pope's bronchitis has advanced into a "polymicrobial infection" with a "complex clinical picture."
According to sources familiar with the situation, the pope has been in intense pain and has privately expressed doubts about his recovery. On February 16, his doctors caused distress by preventing him from delivering his regular Angelus sermon, which he has rarely missed — even while hospitalized. The pope, now strictly following medical advice, initially resisted going to the hospital but was told by doctors that staying at the Vatican posed a serious risk to his life.
As his health worsens, Francis is accelerating efforts to complete crucial initiatives, including appointing key figures who align with his progressive vision for the Church. Since his papacy began in 2013, Francis has worked to make the Church more inclusive, promoting roles for women and LGBT+ individuals — moves that have sparked backlash from conservatives and drawn complaints from liberals about insufficient reforms. His efforts to address clergy child abuse, however, have yielded mixed results.
Before his hospitalization, Francis took steps to influence the papal succession process. On February 6, he extended the term of Italian Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re as dean of the College of Cardinals, a position that will play a crucial role in the upcoming conclave, where the next pope will be chosen. Re, although too old to participate in the conclave, will remain a key figure in behind-the-scenes discussions that shape the selection process. This decision was seen as an attempt by Francis to ensure his legacy is preserved and his wishes are followed when the time comes to choose his successor. Re's role also means he will oversee the pope’s funeral rites, should Francis pass away. Francis has privately joked that Re will be "kinder" to him than other candidates.
The pope's deteriorating health also coincided with a politically sensitive moment. Earlier in the month, he publicly rebuked U.S. Vice President JD Vance’s use of the theological concept Ordo Amoris to justify President Donald Trump’s immigration policy. The rebuke led to tensions with the White House, raising the possibility of a politically charged succession battle.
Additionally, Francis fast-tracked his reform to appoint Sister Raffaella Petrini as the new governor of Vatican City, making her the first woman to hold the role. Her term is set to begin on March 1, earlier than expected, which raised concerns among the pope’s supporters about his health. This appointment also coincides with the current governor, Cardinal Fernando Vérgez Alzaga, turning 80, thus ineligible to continue in the role.
Even if Francis survives this latest health scare, many observers believe this could mark a significant shift in focus. The pope may now be less concerned with pushing forward reforms and more focused on ensuring they are solidified for the future. "He may not die now, but of course, he eventually will," said one Vatican official. "He’s an 88-year-old man with lung problems."
By Tamilla Hasanova