Canadian court crushes Russian hopes of bringing stranded plane back home
The Canadian government has upheld sanctions against a Russia-based cargo airline that were imposed following the start of the Russia-Ukraine war, prolonging a dispute that has left one of the world’s largest cargo aircraft grounded at Toronto Pearson International Airport for more than four years.
The Antonov An-124 was operated by Russian cargo carrier Volga-Dnepr Airlines (VDA), which, along with its former chairman, was placed under Canadian sanctions, as Canadian media reports recall.
The Russian airline had previously asked to be removed from Canada’s sanctions list, arguing that it had not transported military cargo since 2018. The massive plane is approximately 70 metres long and boasts a wingspan of around 73 metres.
Canadian authorities rejected the request in 2024, maintaining that Volga-Dnepr had benefited from Russian government contracts and subsidies and had supported efforts to circumvent sanctions imposed on Moscow.
A summary of that decision said the minister found that the airline “benefitted from contracts and subsidies from the Russian government to assist with activities intended to ease or otherwise circumvent the effects of sanctions imposed against Russia by Canada and its partners, and as such that [VDA] have engaged in activities that indirectly facilitate, support or contribute to a violation or attempted violation of the sovereignty or territorial integrity of Ukraine”.
VDA subsequently sought judicial review of the foreign minister’s decision. However, the Canadian Federal Court has now upheld the sanctions with its decision this week. The latest Federal Court ruling means the airline has not obtained the sanctions relief needed to regain control of the aircraft.
However, the ruling does not resolve the wider dispute over the Antonov An-124.
Canada ordered the aircraft seized on June 8, 2023, under the Special Economic Measures Act. The government described the seizure as part of its sanctions regime and said that, if the aircraft were ultimately forfeited to the Crown, it could work with Ukraine on options for using it in reconstruction and compensation efforts. Canada launched the formal forfeiture proceedings in March 2025.
Volga-Dnepr is pursuing an international arbitration case against Canada, seeking either restitution of the aircraft or compensation that the company values at no less than US$100 million, adding another layer to the lengthy legal battle over the aircraft’s ownership and future.
The latest court decision therefore leaves the An-124 grounded while the airline’s international arbitration case and Canada’s forfeiture proceedings continue.
By Nazrin Sadigova







