NYT: US, Israel prepare for possible new strikes on Iran
US President Donald Trump has threatened renewed military action against Iran in his latest ultimatum, as tensions remain high amid stalled nuclear negotiations and ongoing regional military preparations, The New York Times reports.
In a social media post on May 17 night, Trump warned that Iran must move quickly “or there won’t be anything left,” adding that “the Clock is Ticking.” He did not specify a deadline. Over the past two months, Trump has issued similar threats without following through.
Negotiations between Washington and Tehran have been stalled for weeks, with the US president repeatedly warning that he could order renewed strikes unless Iran agrees to concessions.
The Pentagon is planning for the possibility that Operation Epic Fury — which was paused when the president declared a cease-fire last month — will pick up again in the coming days.
Two Middle East officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss operational matters, said that the United States and Israel are engaged in intense preparations — the largest since the cease-fire took effect — for the possible resumption of attacks against Iran as early as this week. The war began in late February with a joint US-Israeli attack on Iran that drew much of the Middle East into the conflict.
Iran has rejected US demands aimed at curbing uranium enrichment and limiting activity in the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route for oil and gas. Tensions over the waterway have already disrupted markets and driven up oil prices.
On May 18, Iran said it had submitted another counterproposal to the United States. The Iranian foreign ministry stated that talks remain ongoing through Pakistan, which is acting as a mediator.
Responding to Trump’s comments, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said: “Don’t worry, we know very well how to respond.” He did not elaborate further, although Iranian officials have repeatedly warned of strong retaliation in the event of renewed US or Israeli strikes.
According to multiple officials cited in reports, the Pentagon is preparing for the possible resumption of “Operation Epic Fury,” which was paused when a ceasefire was declared last month.
Two Middle East officials, speaking anonymously, said the United States and Israel are engaged in their most intensive joint preparations since the ceasefire began, with the possibility of renewed attacks as early as this week.
Analysts caution that even if airstrikes resume, they may not compel Iran to change its position. They also note that a potential special forces operation targeting Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpiles could significantly escalate risks, including potential American casualties.
The United States has also pursued a pressure campaign to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. A brief initiative dubbed “Project Freedom,” aimed at escorting vessels through the waterway, was suspended shortly after launch to allow further negotiations.
By Vafa Guliyeva







