Expert: Yet the European Union is unfair to Georgia
Lasha Chkaidze for Caliber.Az
INTERVIEWS 04 July 2022 - 14:56
Lasha Chkaidze, a historian, director general of Youth Humanist Association NGO, researcher at Vienna University answers Caliber.Az's questions about the reasons why Georgia is denied the status of an EU candidate and its relations with Azerbaijan.
- Why do you think the European Union discriminated against Georgia in some way but was favorable to Ukraine and Moldova?
- This was expected, because both Georgia and Ukraine, and Moldova have certain steps to take. All these countries have shortcomings in some areas and structures, and still, need to work to meet European standards in order to join the EU.
- Can this decision of the EU be considered political, related to the fact that Georgia has not opened a "second front" against Russia?
- I would not call the EU's decision on Georgia only political, because, on the one hand, Ukraine and Moldova also have some reforms to make. And on the other hand, it should be noted that the EU is not ready for this step at this stage. Although, you are right, granting candidate status to Ukraine and Moldova and refusing Georgia is unfair to us.
As for opening a "second front", I do not think that the EU leadership wanted this.
- And if Saakashvili had been in power, would Georgia have gotten the long-awaited status?
- Saakashvili was ousted from power by the Georgian voters 10 years ago. We did not see him as the country's leader then, nor do we see him now.
- Won't Georgia's aspirations for the EU diminish now?
- No, this is impossible, the vast majority of Georgian citizens are bearers of European values. Nobody can oppose the will of the people. We will definitely become a member of the European family; this is enshrined in our constitution.
- How will this negative event for you affect Georgia's relations with the West?
- Of course, it was unpleasant to perceive, but Georgia is permanently committed to European values and one or two obstacles on the way to the goal do not reduce the desire, on the contrary, it doubles it.
- How do you assess the results of the NATO summit in Madrid?
- The current status quo will probably be preserved due to the prevailing circumstances.
- Why do you think there has been an increase in pro-Russian sentiments in Georgia recently, especially in the expert community?
- Russia is spending a lot of money on this. But I cannot say that the situation is alarming. Pro-Russian experts convince a very small part of the public of the truth of their arguments. However, Georgia's accession to the EU would override all Russian arguments, and European leaders really need to think about it.
- Should Georgia on its way to the West also look to the East - towards Azerbaijan and Türkiye?
- Georgia's European aspirations do not interfere with good relations with Azerbaijan and Türkiye. Our countries and nations are good friends, there are not many examples in the world of such excellent relations between the countries. The Georgian people love the Azerbaijani and Turkish peoples and we feel the same from them. So nothing can change our relations.
"Macron urgently needs a foreign policy triumph, at least in the South Caucasus" Russian francologist on Caliber.Az
"I wouldn’t be surprised if Gantz came to Baku to negotiate a new military deal” Caliber.Az interview with Israeli expert Yigal Levin
Armenian PM resists: "Either Russians fight for us with Azerbaijan, or we head to West" Sergei Markov on Caliber.Az
"If Armenia loses membership in CSTO, its borders may radically change" Caliber.Az interview with Russian expert Ruslan Safarov
"Kyiv has information useful to Baku, Riyadh and other capitals in the region" Expert Sergey Danilov on Iranian UAVs in the Russian army
"Armenia's pivot towards West will end badly" Caliber.Az interview with Russian expert Dmitry Malyshev
Azerbaijan discovers another mass grave in Khojavand PHOTO
04 October 2022 - 14:34
Erdogan jokingly invites Macron to join Organization of Turkic States
06 October 2022 - 19:50
The Times: Putin orders nuclear military train to Ukraine
04 October 2022 - 11:50
Once ignored predictions by military expert now become realities for Russian military in Ukraine He said "there will be no easy walk"
06 October 2022 - 16:35
Top official: Armenia declines to reveal locations of Azerbaijani mass graves
05 October 2022 - 09:25
US urges accountability for perpetrators of war crimes in Khojavand’s Edilli village
07 October 2022 - 10:55
President Aliyev suggests tripartite Azerbaijan-Georgia-Armenia format of talks
07 October 2022 - 10:48
France considers supplying additional “Caesar” weapons to Ukraine
07 October 2022 - 10:37
Armenian PM off to St. Petersburg for CIS leaders’ informal meeting
07 October 2022 - 10:25
Turkish president sets to visit Kazakhstan
07 October 2022 - 10:22
US troops kill top “IS” leaders in Syria
07 October 2022 - 10:18
Authenticity of video showing Russians' surrenderig to Ukraine forces sparks debateVIDEO
07 October 2022 - 10:14
Japan sanctions relatives of Russia’s Kadyrov, Shoigu, Medvedev and Kabaeva
07 October 2022 - 10:04
EU parliament slams Iran for crackdown on women's rights protesters
07 October 2022 - 10:00
Biden says nuclear "Armageddon" higher since Cuban missile crisis
07 October 2022 - 09:52
ISW: Russia’s use of Iranian drones not generating asymmetric effects on battlefields
07 October 2022 - 09:45
EU bans all transactions with crypto assets for Russian citizens
07 October 2022 - 09:40
Zelensky urges NATO to launch "preemptive strikes" on Russia
07 October 2022 - 09:30
Armenia recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
07 October 2022 - 09:23
Gurbanov: We have won important victory
07 October 2022 - 09:20
Official: NATO supports normalisation of relations between Azerbaijan, Armenia
07 October 2022 - 09:10
Germany, Spain ratchet up pressure on Macron over proposed gas pipeline
07 October 2022 - 09:00
Japan approves new sanctions against Russia
07 October 2022 - 08:44
Malaysia PM Ismail raises prospect of early election
07 October 2022 - 08:31
BYD keeps No.2 rank in global EV battery market
07 October 2022 - 08:03
Qarabağ FK stuns Olympiacos in Greece with brilliant performance
07 October 2022 - 07:41
UK's top 10 baby names revealed: Who's in and who's out?
07 October 2022 - 07:30
Three in four Americans say US should support Ukraine despite Russian threats
07 October 2022 - 07:02
Gunmen kill 18 in attack on city hall in southern Mexico
07 October 2022 - 06:29
Renewables meet 100% increase in global power demand
07 October 2022 - 06:00
US could ease Venezuela sanctions, allow Chevron to pump oil: WSJ
07 October 2022 - 05:30
EU diplomat reveals date for launching military training mission for Ukraine military
07 October 2022 - 05:00
Germany introduces new COVID rules amidst rising infections in colder months
07 October 2022 - 04:30
International Space Station to have first Native American woman austronaut
07 October 2022 - 04:00
Should China expect nuclear test by N. Korea during critical congress?Opinion by Al Jazeera
07 October 2022 - 03:30
Humans have new rival in french fries making: robots
07 October 2022 - 03:00
Growing inflation threatens legendary Spanish restaurant menu
07 October 2022 - 02:30
DNA findings reveal original location of first people calling themselves English
07 October 2022 - 02:00
President Aliyev: "This will close the page of war and enmity"
07 October 2022 - 01:46
Azerbaijani President: "The European Union is a very important partner for us"Full text of interview with Azerbaijani TV channels
07 October 2022 - 01:36
Ukrainian "surrender hotline" busy with calls from thousands of Russians, says Ukraine
07 October 2022 - 01:30
SpaceX rocket delivers 52 more Starlink internet satellites into orbit
07 October 2022 - 01:00
Azerbaijani President: Peace treaty with Armenia can be signed by end of this year
07 October 2022 - 00:50
American tourist ruins two sculptures in the Vatican
07 October 2022 - 00:32
Uganda president sorry for son's threat to invade Kenya
07 October 2022 - 00:01
Spain passes law to bring "justice" to Franco-era victims
06 October 2022 - 23:30
Olympiacos fans attack Qarabağ FK's supportersVIDEO
06 October 2022 - 23:27
Erdogan: I believe we can achieve our goal of full normalisation with ArmeniaPHOTO/UPDATED
06 October 2022 - 23:09
President: Whole world community now clearly understands that Karabakh is Azerbaijan!
06 October 2022 - 23:02
Vatican cardinal seems to compare German church reform plans to Nazi theology
06 October 2022 - 23:00