twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2026. .
REGION
A+
A-

Iran declares 60-day US talks deadline "entirely moot"

17 August 2026 12:24

Iran has dismissed the idea of a binding 60-day deadline for negotiations with the United States, arguing that Washington’s violations of a bilateral memorandum of understanding rendered the timeline irrelevant.

“There is no provision titled ‘60-day deadline’ in the text of the MoU; MoU violations mean 60-day timeline became irrelevant. Intensive talks with Oman continue on the Strait of Hormuz,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said at a briefing on August 17.

“What was stipulated in MoU was merely a 60-day period for discussions on lifting sanctions & nuclear issue.

“Only a few weeks after signing of MoU, US violated it, no talks were ever initiated post that. Consequently, the issue of a 60-day deadline has become entirely moot.”

Baghaei’s remarks appeared to distance Tehran from the Western interpretation of the mid-June Islamabad understanding, which had been widely described as establishing a 60-day window for negotiations set to expire on August 17.

He said the document provided for discussions on sanctions relief and the nuclear issue during the 60-day period, but stressed that no negotiations had actually begun after what Iran described as the US violation of the agreement.

Baghaei said Tehran would continue to make decisions based on its national interests and its own assessment of developments rather than under externally imposed deadlines. His comments came amid claims circulating through online back channels that Iran and the United States may still be engaged in indirect contacts.

Baghaei also said Iran was pursuing through diplomatic channels the case of four Iranian pilots whom Tehran believes were captured after carrying out what he described as a defensive operation against the source of US aggression.

He said Iran had raised the matter with the International Committee of the Red Cross on March 17 and that the Iranian Embassy had continued to follow up on the case. The pilots were presumed captured until their status could be clarified, he added.

Asked about reports that the pilots were being held by Qatar, Baghaei said Tehran remained in regular contact with Doha and had conveyed its concerns and considerations.

Qatar has rejected Iran’s claim that it is holding the pilots, describing the allegation as misleading.

Addressing a proposed parliamentary strategic-action plan concerning security in the Strait of Hormuz, Baghaei said the Foreign Ministry had not sent a letter to parliament on the matter and would respect decisions taken by lawmakers.

He added that Iran already had laws governing security in the strait and was continuing to monitor developments.

“Iran’s armed forces are watching every move with open eyes,” Baghaei said, adding that strengthening ties with countries across the region remained part of the Foreign Ministry’s work.

By Vafa Guliyeva

Caliber.Az
Views: 105

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
REGION
The most important news of Armenia, Georgia, Turkey and Iran
loading