Scabies outbreak reported among Spanish troops deployed in Ceuta VIDEO
At least 14 Spanish military personnel deployed in Ceuta have contracted scabies, according to the Union of Military Personnel (UMT), which has raised concerns over the conditions in which troops were housed during the ongoing migration crisis.
The professional military association said the affected personnel belong to the Ceuta No. 54 Regulares Group and were accommodated on August 15 at the former K-8 Coastal Battery, a military facility that is normally unused, La Vanguardia writes.
The UMT said the premises were overcrowded and lacked adequate hygienic maintenance, while also having a history of similar pest infestations. It has reported the cases to the Ministry of Defence, the Under-Secretary of Defence and the Permanent Secretariat of the Armed Forces Personnel Council.
The association is seeking clarification on whether other military units deployed to Ceuta have also reported cases and what measures are being taken to prevent the infection from spreading.
Defence Ministry sources, however, told EFE that the cases do not necessarily have to be linked to the migration crisis.
The troops have also reportedly raised concerns about shortages of personal protective equipment, including masks and gloves.
The Association of Spanish Troops and Sailors (ATME) had previously warned of possible cases of infectious diseases, including what it described as “probably scabies”, among military personnel deployed in the autonomous city. It called on the Defence Ministry to provide precise information about the situation.
The UMT has also requested details of the medical contingency measures being implemented, including epidemiological monitoring and urgent disinfection of military accommodation, gyms and vehicles, as well as measures to prevent any potential spread to military families and the civilian population.
By Aghakazim Guliyev







