EU nations already provide half of Ukraine’s ammunition needs, says foreign policy chief
European Union foreign policy chief, Kaja Kallas, has confirmed that EU nations are already supplying more than 50 per cent of the ammunition Ukraine requires, following Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s recent estimate of two million rounds needed for the ongoing conflict with Russia.
Ahead of the EU Defence Ministers' summit in Warsaw, Kallas remarked, “These things are moving very well… we need to get the help to Ukraine as fast as possible. President Zelenskyy has said that they need five billion to have at least two million rounds,” Caliber.Az reports citing foreign media.
She went on to highlight the EU’s progress, noting, “I’m glad to see that we already have different proposals or different countries coming with their input to this, so we have already over 50 per cent of what is needed.”
The EU Defence Ministers' summit, held from April 2-3, 2025, serves as an informal meeting focused on expanding military support for Ukraine, particularly with regard to the country’s urgent need for large-calibre ammunition.
One of the central aims of Kallas' initiative is to provide the two million rounds of ammunition, valued at €5 billion, by the end of 2025. Hosted by Poland, which currently holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union, the summit at the Warsaw Citadel also addressed a broader plan to bolster EU military aid to Ukraine.
The ambitious "Kallas initiative" looks to raise up to €40 billion in new military support for Ukraine. If successful, this would significantly increase the EU’s defence contributions, doubling the assistance provided in the previous year. This comprehensive plan seeks to address Ukraine’s critical needs, including artillery ammunition, air defence systems, missiles, drones, and fighter jets.
In addition to lethal military support, Kallas' initiative also includes provisions for non-lethal measures, such as training and equipment for Ukrainian brigades, designed to encourage participation from neutral EU member states. The plan allows for donations in the form of direct hardware deliveries or financial contributions, ideally structured to promote purchases from Ukraine’s expanding defence industry, which has rapidly developed over the past three years.
Kallas has indicated that the total value of this initiative could range from €20 billion to €40 billion, according to the latest proposal, dated March 13. This marks a significant step in EU efforts to strengthen Ukraine’s defence against Russia’s aggression.
Meanwhile, Kallas expressed support for the US Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s demand for EU countries to increase defence spending to 5 per cent of GDP, a significant jump from the current 2 per cent. Kallas described this request as “positive,” noting that several EU member states are already prepared to meet this target.
“This is a long-standing US demand—to increase defence spending. It is positive, we are already doing it, and a number of EU countries are already ready to spend 5 per cent of GDP. But I wouldn't focus on the numbers, but on how the EU sees its defence as a whole.”
Kallas' remarks come ahead of her first meeting with Rubio, which is scheduled to take place on 4 April in Brussels. The meeting will occur during the NATO foreign ministers' gathering, where discussions will involve partners including various EU institutions.
Although Kallas has visited Washington twice earlier this year, Rubio had declined to meet with her on both occasions, citing scheduling conflicts. Despite this, Kallas has maintained a positive outlook on the growing cooperation between the EU and the US on defence matters.
By Vafa Guliyeva