twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2026. .
REGION
A+
A-

International manhunt for Turkish suspect in missing girl's case results in arrest

24 May 2026 00:13

A Turkish fugitive wanted under an Interpol Red Notice in connection with the 2020 disappearance of a female university student has been detained in the United States.

Judicial sources said on May 22 that Umut Altaş was taken into custody by US authorities, according to Turkish media reports

He is a suspect in the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Gülistan Doku, who went missing six years ago in the eastern province of Tunceli. The case has attracted widespread national attention in Türkiye since her disappearance, as multiple officials have since been detained for their involvement.

The investigation has expanded in recent months, with coordinated operations carried out across multiple provinces and several people detained in connection with the case. Dons of individuals have been questioned or detained so far, though no final convictions have been made.

In one of the most recent developments, the son of a former provincial governor was also arrested. Mustafa Türkay Sonel was detained on April 18, alongside his former bodyguard. His father, former Tunceli governor Tuncay Sonel, was taken into custody a day earlier on suspicion of tampering with evidence.

Several other suspects have also been arrested on charges including murder, destruction of evidence, and abuse of office. Among them are Zeinal Abakarov, identified as Doku’s former boyfriend, as well as his mother and stepfather.

Prosecutors have stated there is “strong suspicion” that Mustafa Türkay Sonel may have been involved in the homicide, citing witness statements and technical evidence. Altaş is believed to have been with the main suspect around the time of the alleged homicide.

Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said the investigation is being conducted entirely under the supervision of the chief public prosecutor, without political direction or ministerial interference.

Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry previously launched an administrative inquiry into the case and suspended Tuncay Sonel from his official duties pending the outcome. A doctor has also been detained for questioning over alleged involvement in handling or recording hospital data linked to the investigation.

By Nazrin Sadigova

Caliber.Az
Views: 149

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
instagram
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Instagram
REGION
The most important news of Armenia, Georgia, Turkey and Iran
loading