twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
arm
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2025. .
WORLD
A+
A-

Putin dragging feet on Ukraine ceasefire, say British and French FMs

04 April 2025 15:53

Britain and France on on April 4 sharply criticized Russian President Vladimir Putin for delaying ceasefire negotiations aimed at ending the war in Ukraine, warning that Moscow must promptly respond to a US proposal for a 30-day halt in hostilities.

The criticism came after a Kremlin official earlier in the week dismissed hopes of a swift resolution, describing peace efforts as “a drawn-out process.”

The statement was widely interpreted as a rejection of Washington’s call for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict that has entered its third year.

“Our judgment is that Putin continues to obfuscate, continues to drag his feet,” said British Foreign Secretary David Lammy, speaking alongside French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot at NATO headquarters in a symbolic display of allied unity, Caliber.Az reports, referring to American media.

Both Britain and France are leading members of the so-called “coalition of the willing,” a multinational group working to establish a peacekeeping force for Ukraine once a ceasefire agreement is reached.

Lammy emphasized that despite the push for a truce, Moscow continues its aggression. “He continues to bombard Ukraine. It’s the civilian population. It’s energy supplies. We see you, Vladimir Putin. We know what you are doing,” he said.

Barrot echoed the sentiment, noting that Ukraine had already agreed to ceasefire terms three weeks ago and that Russia now “owes an answer to the United States.”

“Russia has been flip-flopping, continuing its strikes on energy infrastructure, continuing its war crimes,” Barrot said. “It has to be ‘yes.’ It has to be ‘no.’ It has to be a quick answer.”

He further underscored Moscow’s lack of intention to de-escalate, pointing to Putin’s recent move to bolster Russian military ranks. On March 31, the Russian president ordered a draft of 160,000 conscripts for one year of compulsory military service.

Lammy and Barrot reaffirmed their commitment to supporting Ukraine, pledging continued assistance in strengthening its military capabilities, particularly crucial after the U.S. officially ruled out the possibility of NATO membership for Kyiv.

Top military officials from the coalition are scheduled to meet in Kyiv on April 4, while defense ministers will convene at NATO headquarters on April 10 to further discuss plans.

Meanwhile, Gen. Christopher Cavoli, the top U.S. general in Europe, testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee in Washington on April 4, warning that Russia is actively rebuilding its military capabilities.

According to Cavoli, Russia now has more than 600,000 troops deployed on the Ukrainian frontlines — the highest number since the conflict began and nearly double the size of the initial invasion force. He added that Moscow is well on its way to replacing its battlefield losses in tanks, armored vehicles, artillery, and air defense systems.

Furthermore, Russia is projected to produce 250,000 artillery shells per month, Cavoli said, a pace that would allow it to accumulate a stockpile three times larger than those of the United States and Europe combined.

By Tamilla Hasanova

Caliber.Az
Views: 176

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
ads
youtube
Follow us on Youtube
Follow us on Youtube
WORLD
The most important world news
loading