twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2026. .
WORLD
A+
A-

Epstein links shake public confidence in European royal houses

21 February 2026 14:53

Support for the monarchy in Norway has fallen to a record low following renewed scrutiny linked to the Epstein scandal, according to a new public opinion survey.

A poll conducted by Norstat for NRK found that backing for the Norwegian monarchy dropped to 60 per cent in February, down sharply from 70 per cent in January. The figure represents the lowest level recorded since the survey began. The previous low — 62 per cent — was registered in September 2024, shortly after the arrest of Crown Princess Mette-Marit’s son, Marius Borg Høiby.

Despite the decline in institutional support, public attitudes toward several members of the royal family remain largely positive. King Harald continues to enjoy the strongest approval ratings, scoring 9.2 out of 10 points in the survey. In contrast, Crown Princess Mette-Marit’s personal rating fell significantly, dropping from 7.9 to 3.7 points.

The poll was conducted between February 17 and 19 among 1,009 respondents, with a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.

The Norwegian debate reflects broader pressures facing European monarchies amid renewed attention to links between royal figures and disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit publicly acknowledged in December 2019 that she had contact with Epstein between 2011 and 2013, stating that she had been unaware of his crimes. Epstein had been convicted in 2008 of soliciting a minor for prostitution. Documents later released show that Mette-Marit told Epstein she had researched him online. She issued a second apology this February in a formal note addressed to King Harald and Queen Sonja.

Observers say European royal households have increasingly adopted crisis-management strategies aimed at protecting the institution by distancing it from controversial individuals. These measures often begin with public apologies, followed by institutional responses designed to demonstrate accountability.

In the United Kingdom, this approach has extended to the highest levels of the monarchy. King Charles III has effectively reduced his brother Andrew — now referred to as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor — to the status of a private citizen while legal scrutiny continues, stating that “the law must take its course.” William and Catherine, the Prince and Princess of Wales, said they are “deeply concerned” for victims and have hired communications and crisis-management specialist Liza Ravenscroft.

Public opinion trends in Britain reflect similar pressures. An Ipsos poll conducted between October 31 and November 3, 2025, as King Charles III began stripping Andrew of his royal titles, found that 90 percent of Britons considered the decision “the right” one. Some 77 percent expressed a negative view of the former prince, while 47 percent said abolishing the monarchy would not be good for the country.

Elsewhere in Europe, Belgium’s Prince Laurent — the younger brother of King Philippe — has also appeared in Epstein-related documents. Laurent said the financier had sought to meet his parents “to introduce them to his billionaire friends,” adding: “I replied that my parents were not for sale or for show.”

The growing demand for transparency has also revived wider debates about royal privileges. In the Netherlands, discussions continue over whether members of the royal family should pay full taxes. While the Dutch monarch pays taxes on private assets, he does not pay income tax on the state allowance he receives — an issue that remains unresolved in parliament.

By Tamilla Hasanova

Caliber.Az
Views: 75

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
youtube
Follow us on Youtube
Follow us on Youtube
WORLD
The most important world news
loading