Israel completes deportation of Gaza flotilla activists
Israel has completed the deportation of all activists from the Gaza-bound flotilla, the Foreign Ministry announced.
Earlier on May 21, two Jordanian activists who had been part of the flotilla were returned home following efforts led by the Foreign and Expatriates Affairs Ministry, Caliber.Az reports, citing Israeli media.
In a statement published on X, the Israeli Foreign Ministry reiterated that “Israel will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza.”
All foreign activists from the PR flotilla have been deported from Israel.
— Israel Foreign Ministry (@IsraelMFA) May 21, 2026
Israel will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza.
Earlier, Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares said that 44 Spanish activists detained in Israel were expected to be released and flown to Spain via Türkiye on a 3 p.m. flight.
On May 20, Albares condemned Israel’s treatment of the detained activists, describing National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir’s conduct as “monstrous, undignified, and humiliating.”
The flotilla was intercepted by the Israeli Navy on May19 night, with 428 participants from more than 40 countries detained. According to the Global Sumud Flotilla, around 90 of those detained began a hunger strike.
Controversy escalated after Ben-Gvir shared videos showing him confronting detained activists in Ashdod, prompting widespread condemnation internationally and from Israeli officials, with several countries, including Spain, summoning Israel’s chargé d’affaires.
In response, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that while Israel has the right to respond to the flotilla, Ben-Gvir’s actions were unacceptable.
By Vafa Guliyeva







