British FM confirms London said no to US's request for Iran operations
UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper acknowledged London’s position on potential military cooperation with Washington, declining to deny reports that the United Kingdom had rejected a US request to use Royal Air Force bases for possible operations connected to Iran.
Speaking in an interview with ITV, she stressed that the British government favours a diplomatic path rather than military escalation, as per Caliber.Az.
'There are reports the UK has told the US they cannot use RAF bases for strikes on Iran. Is that true?'
— ITVPolitics (@ITVNewsPolitics) February 20, 2026
The Foreign Secretary tells ITV News that she wants the US to negotiate with Iran, amidst reports the US are preparing to strike the country pic.twitter.com/oXDUYr3xVH
“The United Kingdom and the United States have a long and deep security partnership. We work immensely closely,” Cooper said. “And on the issue of İran that's why we support US talks taking place with Iran, because, frankly, the Iranian regime continues to pose a threat to security and continues to pursue nuclear weapons. <...> That is why we have supported sanctions, as well as efforts to increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the regime. We believe this is the right thing to do,” she added.
Earlier reports indicated that London had refused to authorise the use of its military facilities for a potential US strike on Iran, a decision that British media say has caused dissatisfaction within the White House.
Tensions were further highlighted on February 18, when US President Donald Trump publicly criticized an agreement between the United Kingdom and Mauritius concerning the transfer of sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago. The deal, signed on May 22 last year but still awaiting ratification by the British Parliament, allows the joint UK–US military base on Diego Garcia to continue operating for 99 years.
Under the agreement, the United Kingdom would pay Mauritius more than £100 million ($135 million) annually, while maintaining a strict ban on foreign security forces being stationed on the archipelago’s outer islands.
Writing on the social media platform Truth Social, Trump said Prime Minister Keir Starmer was making a “big mistake” by transferring sovereignty over the territory. He warned that Britain should avoid decisions that could weaken control over the strategically important base and suggested that Washington might need to rely on Diego Garcia to prevent what he described as a possible Iranian attack.
By Tamilla Hasanova







