Serbia warns nationals to flee Iran over escalating security risks
Serbia has called on its citizens currently in Iran to depart the country “as soon as possible” following renewed tensions after US President Donald Trump warned that military action could be considered over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
Belgrade had already advised Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and avoid travel to the country amid a violent crackdown by Iran’s clerical authorities on a large-scale protest movement.
In a statement published overnight from Friday to Saturday on the foreign ministry’s website, officials reiterated the warning, citing worsening security conditions.
"Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period," the ministry said, as per Caliber.Az.
"All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible."
Због повећаних тензија и ризика од погоршања безбедносне ситуације, свим грађанима Републике Србије који се налазе у Исламској Републици Иран препоручује се да што пре напусте земљу.
— MFA Serbia (@MFASerbia) February 20, 2026
📄⬇️
🔗https://t.co/6jh2NBasjm pic.twitter.com/OLK9uoeYNB
The warning came as Iran signalled on Friday that it hoped to reach a swift agreement with the United States regarding its nuclear programme, an issue that has long strained relations between the two countries.
At the same time, Trump — after ordering a significant naval build-up in the Middle East, intended to increase pressure on Tehran — said he was “considering” a limited military strike should negotiations fail to produce results.
By Tamilla Hasanova







