twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
arm
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2025. .
WORLD
A+
A-

Congo, Rwanda presidents to sign peace deal in Washington next week

29 November 2025 09:39

The presidents of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda are expected to travel to Washington next week to sign a peace agreement and meet with U.S. President Donald Trump, three sources told Reuters, as the United States seeks to advance peace efforts in conflict-stricken eastern Congo and encourage greater Western investment in the region’s mining sector.

Two diplomatic sources, along with Tina Salama, spokesperson for Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi, confirmed that the meeting is scheduled for December 4.

Representatives for Rwandan President Paul Kagame and the White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Friday. However, a White House official told Reuters last week that the Trump administration “continues to work with both parties, and looks forward to welcoming them to the White House at the appropriate time.”

The Rwanda-backed M23 rebel movement mounted a rapid offensive in eastern Congo earlier this year, capturing the region’s two largest cities and fueling concerns that the conflict could escalate further and draw in additional neighbouring countries. The latest wave of fighting has killed thousands of people and displaced hundreds of thousands more.

Next week’s meeting is intended to build upon a U.S.-mediated peace agreement reached in June and signed by the two nations’ foreign ministers, as well as a Regional Economic Integration Framework finalised earlier this month. According to Salama, the two presidents are expected to formally ratify both accords.

“The president has always advocated for regional integration, but respect for sovereignty is non-negotiable and essential for such integration,” Salama stated.

The Trump administration has expressed interest in facilitating billions of dollars in Western investment in a region abundant in tantalum, gold, cobalt, copper, lithium, and other critical minerals.

In September, Congo and Rwanda agreed to implement the security provisions outlined in the June accord by year’s end. These measures include joint efforts to neutralize the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), an armed group based in Congo, and steps to enable the withdrawal of Rwandan forces. Despite these commitments, no significant developments have occurred on the ground.

Rwanda denies supporting M23, though a United Nations expert panel reported in July that Rwanda maintains command and control over the rebel group.

Meanwhile, Qatar has hosted separate discussions between Congo and M23. Earlier this month, the two sides signed a framework agreement toward a peace deal, though substantial details remain under negotiation.

President Tshisekedi told members of the Congolese diaspora in Serbia that he would travel to Washington, according to a post published Friday on X by his office. He added that genuine regional economic integration will be impossible unless Rwandan troops withdraw from eastern Congo.

By Tamilla Hasanova

Caliber.Az
Views: 49

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
WORLD
The most important world news
loading