FCAS fighter jet programme: Ministers aim to clear obstacles by year-end
Germany, France, and Spain’s defence ministers are scheduled to meet in October to address the stalled Future Combat Air System (FCAS) joint fighter jet programme, German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius announced on August 28.
According to foreign media, the ministers aim to identify obstacles and propose solutions ahead of a final decision by national leaders later this year.
Acknowledging the project’s repeated setbacks, Pistorius emphasised the necessity of cooperation. “We will all pull together, and national interests will need to be put aside by one or the other or all of us. It is clear we are damned to succeed; we need this project,” he told reporters on the sidelines of a meeting with his Spanish counterpart, Margarita Robles, in Berlin.
Berlin has attributed delays in advancing the FCAS programme — estimated to cost over €100 billion ($117 billion) — to French industry, which has insisted on taking sole leadership of the project.
Dassault Aviation, responsible for the crewed fighter element of FCAS, declined to comment. Airbus and Indra are also involved in developing the next-generation fighter intended to replace French Rafale jets and German and Spanish Eurofighters from 2040.
Tensions between Berlin and Paris centre on consortium composition. France has reportedly demanded an 80% work-share in the project, a position that could delay the launch of the second phase, which involves developing airworthy demonstrators and had been planned for the end of this year. Pistorius stated that a decision on proceeding with the second phase will be made in the fourth quarter.
Regarding solutions to get the programme back on track, Pistorius said: “The answer is rather simple: Contracts are struck to be adhered to. If there is a wish for changes, then these are only possible after fresh negotiations between the partners. One thing is clear: This process must not carry on for ages… We need to gain speed now because the project does not allow for any further delays.”
Robles reiterated Spain’s commitment to FCAS. “This is an essential and fundamental project that we must invigorate, and we must invigorate it as much as possible. Spain’s commitment is total, and this programme must continue,” she said.
Earlier this month, Spain announced it would no longer consider purchasing U.S.-made F-35 fighter jets and would instead choose between Eurofighter and FCAS, as it refocuses defence spending on European-made aircraft.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz also confirmed on August 27 that he and French President Emmanuel Macron had agreed to make a decision on the future of FCAS by year-end.
By Tamilla Hasanova