Greenland signals progress in talks with US but rejects any sale or annexation
Greenland’s government has stated that progress has been made in high-level talks with the United States over the territory’s future, while firmly rejecting any suggestion that the Arctic island could be sold or taken over.
Officials said discussions with Washington were ongoing following the arrival of US special envoy Jeff Landry in Nuuk on May 17, Caliber.Az reports, citing Reuters.
Landry, appointed by President Donald Trump last year to advance US interests in Greenland, met on May 18 with Prime Minister Jens-Frederik Nielsen and Foreign Minister Mute Egede.
Speaking after the meeting, Nielsen said there had been “progress”, while stressing that Greenland’s position remained unchanged.
“We believe there is progress, and from Greenland's side we are focused on finding a solution that is good for us all, and most importantly that threats of annexation, takeover or a purchase of Greenland and the Greenlandic people does not occur,” he told reporters.
There was no immediate public response from Landry, who told local media on May 17 that he was in Greenland to “listen and learn”.
Foreign Minister Egede made it clear that Greenland would not be put up for sale, describing sovereignty as non-negotiable.
“They asked for a meeting, and we've explained our situation and standpoint, and that we have some red lines - we will not sell Greenland, we will own Greenland for all time,” Egede noted.
Earlier this year, Greenland, Denmark and the United States agreed to hold high-level diplomatic discussions in an effort to ease tensions, though no outcomes have yet been announced.
Washington has expressed interest in expanding its military footprint in Greenland, including as part of a proposed “Golden Dome” missile defence system.
The United States currently operates the Pituffik Space Base in north-western Greenland, its only active installation on the island, down from a much larger Cold War-era presence.
By Bakhtiyar Abbasov







