Lithuanian energy chief takes shelter during massive Russian attack on Kyiv
Lithuanian Energy Minister Lukas Savickas spent the night in a shelter in Kyiv after his visit to Ukraine coincided with a massive Russian attack targeting the Ukrainian capital and its metropolitan area.
Speaking to Lithuania's public broadcaster LRT on Thursday morning, August 20, Savickas said he and other members of the Lithuanian delegation had been forced to take shelter during the attack.
“I had the opportunity to experience firsthand what most Ukrainians go through very often… The alert sounded throughout the night and is still in effect. We are monitoring the situation. There are no longer any ballistic missile warnings, but the drone threat remains,” he said.
Savickas arrived in Kyiv on Wednesday and met with Ukrainian Energy Minister Denys Shmyhal. The Lithuanian minister's two-day visit is expected to include the signing of an agreement on sharing experience in protecting energy infrastructure.
On Thursday, the Lithuanian delegation is scheduled to visit several Ukrainian energy infrastructure facilities and hold meetings with representatives of energy companies.
The visit came as Kyiv faced a major Russian attack. According to Caliber.Az, 12 people were killed in the attack on the Ukrainian capital, while August 21 has been declared a day of mourning for the victims.
By Tamilla Hasanova







