Middle East tensions threaten progress on Iran’s nuclear inspections—UN watchdog
The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog has warned that Iran’s opportunity to reach a diplomatic agreement over its nuclear program could be narrowing due to the US military build-up in the Middle East.
Rafael Mariano Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), told Bloomberg Television that the agency has discussed concrete proposals with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to inspect sites targeted by Israeli and US strikes in June. Whether those plans can be finalized in time remains uncertain.
“There is not much time but we are working on something concrete,” Grossi said, referring to six hours of meetings earlier this week in Geneva with Iranian diplomats. “There are a couple of solutions the IAEA has proposed.”
IAEA inspectors have not verified the status of Iran’s stockpile of near-bomb-grade uranium or assessed the damage to its enrichment facilities for more than eight months. Prior to the June attacks, Iran reportedly had enough highly enriched material to rapidly produce approximately a dozen nuclear warheads, if the program were weaponized.
Grossi also confirmed he met with US envoys in Geneva on February 17. The White House has repeatedly claimed that US actions “obliterated” Iran’s atomic work last year, while continuing to warn of military action if Tehran does not agree to a new deal.
An IAEA return to the damaged facilities in Fordow, Isfahan, and Natanz “hinges on the possibility of a wider type of agreement,” Grossi said. “We are conscious of the fact that there is this political negotiation.”
By Vafa Guliyeva







