twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2026. .
SPORT
A+
A-

Scotland joins FIFA backlash, refuses to back Infantino

17 August 2026 19:36

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) has withdrawn its support for Gianni Infantino and will not vote for his re-election as FIFA president, SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell told BBC Sport.

Infantino is facing mounting opposition over a now-abandoned proposal to establish FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), a new company that would have managed the commercial and ticketing rights for FIFA competitions, including the World Cup. The plan envisaged selling a 21% stake to a private investment firm.

The proposal was scrapped following widespread criticism from several confederations, led by UEFA, which has threatened a boycott of FIFA competitions.

“The position of the SFA has been clear since the 55 UEFA associations met,” Maxwell said while announcing Belgian Sebastian Pocognoli as Scotland’s new head coach.

“We have aligned ourselves with the UEFA position and 55 nations are stronger than one voice.

“Their statement since then has talked about a lack of confidence in the Fifa leadership and the Scottish FA agree completely with that decision.

“The SFA will not be voting for Gianni Infantino come the re-election in early 2027.”

Maxwell also rejected suggestions that the SFA had delayed publicly withdrawing its support because its president, Mike Mulraney, chairs FIFA’s finance committee.

Football associations in England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland have already announced that they no longer support Infantino, who is expected to seek a fourth term in March 2027.

Last week, UEFA, Concacaf and the Asian Football Confederation accused FIFA and Infantino of breaking trust “through deception” in an open letter. The organizations said the controversy surrounding FFE concerned “the integrity of the game, and the integrity of those elected to lead it”.

Although Infantino was not named, sources told BBC Sport the statement could be viewed as an opportunity for him to resign.

FIFA has pledged to present a report on FFE at the next FIFA Council meeting, expected in October. The three confederations, however, said an independent review was required.

The dispute has divided football’s governing bodies. African, South American and Oceania confederations have backed Infantino, while several individual associations have opposed him.

With no rival candidate formally declared ahead of the November 18 deadline, Infantino remains the only announced contender. Nevertheless, the growing divisions have raised questions over whether he can maintain sufficient political authority within FIFA even if he secures re-election.

By Vafa Guliyeva

Caliber.Az
Views: 116

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
youtube
Follow us on Youtube
Follow us on Youtube
SPORT
The most important sport news in Azerbaijan
loading