Polish PM announces withdrawal from anti-personnel mine convention
Poland has initiated its withdrawal from the Ottawa Convention banning anti-personnel mines, a move the government says is intended to strengthen national defence and allow rapid protection of its eastern borders in the event of a security threat.
Prime Minister Donald Tusk announced that Warsaw is beginning the formal procedure to leave the treaty, enabling the country to develop the capability to mine its borders with Belarus and Russia within 48 hours if necessary.
“I would like to inform you that Poland is, at this very moment, withdrawing from the Ottawa Convention. (…) As part of the ‘East Shield’ project, we will obtain the capability to mine Poland’s border within 48 hours in case of danger,” Tusk said, according to TVP Info.
Deputy Defence Minister Cezary Tomczyk previously clarified in January that Poland does not plan to deploy anti-personnel mines on a permanent basis after leaving the agreement. Instead, minefields would be installed only in response to a concrete threat.
The Ottawa Convention, which entered into force in 1999 and has been joined by 164 countries, prohibits the use, production and storage of anti-personnel mines. The International Committee of the Red Cross has warned that such weapons frequently cause civilian casualties and may remain dangerous long after armed conflicts end.
According to Reuters, Poland’s decision reflects a broader regional reassessment of the treaty, with several European countries bordering Russia — with the exception of Norway — considering withdrawal. Warsaw intends to incorporate mining capabilities into the “East Shield” framework to enhance security along its borders with Belarus and Russia’s Kaliningrad region.
Poland began the withdrawal process in August, and under the treaty’s rules, it will formally exit the convention after a six-month notification period ending on February 20, 2026.
By Tamilla Hasanova







