US intel: At least 10 mines detected in Strait of Hormuz
A recent US intelligence assessment has identified at least 10 naval mines in the strategically vital waterway, according to US officials familiar with the matter.
The findings mark a slight revision from earlier assessments in March, when US intelligence officials said there were at least a dozen underwater mines in the strait, Caliber.Az reports via US media.
The officials, speaking anonymously due to the sensitivity of the matter, said the latest count is now “at least 10”.
The mines are believed to include Iranian-manufactured Maham 3 and Maham 7 Limpet variants, though US officials said they could not confirm which types were involved in the latest assessment. The Maham 3 is described as a moored mine using magnetic and acoustic sensors to detect nearby vessels, while the Maham 7 is a seabed “sticking” mine designed to attach to surfaces and target medium-sized ships and smaller submarines.
US forces have recently begun rerouting commercial shipping traffic through alternative corridors in the strait, which the US Navy has reportedly been clearing for weeks. Officials have warned that using the traditional shipping lane could be “extremely hazardous” due to the risk posed by the mines.
The developments come amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran over maritime security in the region. Earlier this month, the Pentagon publicly indicated that Iran had laid new mines in the strait on April 23, further escalating concerns over the security of one of the world’s most critical energy chokepoints.
The Strait of Hormuz is a key artery for global energy supplies, with roughly a fifth of the world’s oil shipments passing through it before recent disruptions. Any sustained risk to navigation has already contributed to higher global energy prices, with US gasoline costs rising sharply in recent months.
Separately, Iranian officials have said they are working with Oman to establish a joint mechanism to manage maritime traffic through the waterway.
US President Donald Trump said on May 18 that he had called off a planned strike on Iran scheduled for May 19, citing ongoing negotiations aimed at reaching a potential peace deal acceptable to the United States and regional partners.







