twitter
youtube
instagram
facebook
telegram
apple store
play market
night_theme
ru
search
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?






Any use of materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to Caliber.az
Caliber.az © 2026. .
WORLD
A+
A-

US to resume uranium enrichment with French partnership

18 February 2026 11:53

The United States will restart uranium enrichment domestically, in part through collaboration with French partners, U.S. Secretary of Energy Chris Wright announced on February 17.

Speaking at a conference in Paris, Wright said the initiative forms part of broader efforts to strengthen the U.S. nuclear fuel supply chain, Caliber.Az reports per foreign media.

Last month, French nuclear fuels company Orano received $900 million in funding from the U.S. Department of Energy to assist in constructing a uranium enrichment facility in Tennessee.

On February 17, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) temporarily closed parts of the Strait of Hormuz for live-fire naval exercises, the first such closure since the 1980s, amid a US military presence in the region. Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei warned US aircraft carriers could be sunk, underscoring tensions despite ongoing nuclear negotiations in Geneva.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the second round of talks with the US focused on guiding principles, with both sides exchanging draft proposals for a potential agreement. Washington continues to insist Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons, using both diplomatic and other options.

The Strait of Hormuz, a critical chokepoint for global oil shipping, has never been fully closed by Iran, though previous threats and partial disruptions have affected shipping. Analysts note that a full closure would damage Iran’s economy as well as global markets.

By Aghakazim Guliyev

Caliber.Az
Views: 65

share-lineLiked the story? Share it on social media!
print
copy link
Ссылка скопирована
telegram
Follow us on Telegram
Follow us on Telegram
WORLD
The most important world news
loading