At least 26 protesters sentenced to death in Iran, rights group says
At least 26 protesters have been sentenced to death following Iran’s recent nationwide unrest, with hundreds more — including children — facing capital charges, according to the Norway-based group Iran Human Rights (IHRNGO).
In a statement, the organisation said defendants and their families are also being subjected to pressure and threats to prevent them from speaking publicly about their cases, Caliber.Az reports.
The report comes amid an intensified judicial response to the protests. On February 16, Iran’s judiciary chief ordered authorities to “prosecute and punish the main perpetrators of the unrest and terrorist acts” and to “act decisively and without any leniency,” according to state media.
A day later, the judiciary’s spokesperson announced during a press conference that 8,843 indictments had been issued in connection with the nationwide demonstrations.
IHRNGO said that at least 26 protesters have received death sentences in preliminary trials. It added that state media recently broadcast the trials of four additional protesters facing capital charges in Tehran, including two individuals under the age of 18.
IHRNGO has called on the international community, civil society organisations and the public to increase political pressure on Tehran.
By Sabina Mammadli







