Azerbaijan sues CNN in US court over false Iran claims
Azerbaijan has filed a lawsuit against CNN in a US federal court over an article that Baku says contained unfounded and provocative allegations concerning the use of Azerbaijani territory by Israel for military and intelligence operations against Iran.
According to information obtained by Report, the lawsuit was filed on August 17, 2026, in the US District Court for the District of Delaware, where CNN’s corporate entity is incorporated.
The dispute centers on a CNN article published on June 5, 2026, which alleged that Israeli special forces were operating from several locations in southern Azerbaijan near the Iranian border, carrying out intelligence and drone operations.
The report also claimed that Israel had allegedly pre-positioned listening devices and other intelligence equipment in Azerbaijan in preparation for subsequent operations against Iran.
According to the Azerbaijani side, CNN was aware of Baku’s position before publishing the article. In response to a request for comment from CNN, Azerbaijan officially rejected the allegations and stated that it does not permit its territory to be used by any third country for military or intelligence operations against Iran.
Baku maintains that, despite receiving that response, CNN failed to adequately reflect Azerbaijan’s position in the published article, while its central allegations were based largely on anonymous sources.
Following the publication, Azerbaijan formally demanded that CNN retract the allegations and correct the report. A statement was also issued by the spokesperson for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
The Azerbaijani side subsequently sent follow-up letters to CNN on June 6, June 23, and July 2, reiterating its demand for the allegations to be withdrawn and the article corrected.
Although CNN said it would review Azerbaijan’s requests, Baku says the network has taken no action and has not retracted the disputed claims.
The lawsuit comes against this backdrop, with Azerbaijan seeking legal redress over what it considers false statements concerning the use of its territory.
One of the article’s authors, Tim Lister, has also previously faced criticism from the Azerbaijani side over what Baku describes as a one-sided approach to Azerbaijan in his reporting. According to the Azerbaijani side, articles he published during the 2020 Patriotic War and the 2023 anti-terror operation similarly contained claims it regarded as biased against Azerbaijan.
By Vafa Guliyeva







