US launches new airstrikes against Islamic State in northeast Nigeria
The U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) said on May 18 that it had carried out additional airstrikes against Islamic State targets in northeastern Nigeria on May 17, in coordination with the Nigerian government.
AFRICOM said no U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed during the operation, Caliber.Az reports via foreign media.
The latest strikes follow a joint U.S.-Nigerian operation on May 16 that reportedly killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described by officials as the second-in-command of Islamic State globally in the region.
U.S. President Donald Trump and Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu said the earlier operation was conducted jointly by their forces. Tinubu said Nigerian troops had worked closely with the U.S. military in what he called a “daring joint operation” that dealt a heavy blow to Islamic State ranks.
Trump, who has previously accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from Islamist militants, thanked the Nigerian government for its cooperation in the mission.
Borno state has faced a prolonged insurgency for 17 years involving Boko Haram and its offshoot Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), a conflict that has killed thousands and displaced around two million people.
By Sabina Mammadli







