FM: Sweden open to NATO role in potential effort to secure Strait of Hormuz
Sweden is leaving open the possibility of a NATO role in efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping route, Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard told POLITICO ahead of a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting.
“It's definitely in Swedish and European interests to make sure that we keep the strait open and that Iran cannot use this as a weapon again,” she said in an interview ahead of the meeting of NATO foreign ministers. “So I'm quite open to discussing different formats.”
The Strait of Hormuz, which carries around one-fifth of global oil shipments, saw commercial traffic disrupted following retaliatory actions by Tehran in response to a U.S.-Israeli bombing campaign that began on February 28.
NATO has so far largely remained outside discussions on restoring normal shipping through the chokepoint, amid divisions among allies over the conflict. Several European countries, including France, Spain, Italy and the United Kingdom, have also imposed restrictions on U.S. access to airspace or military bases.
The situation has contributed to tensions within the alliance, with U.S. President Donald Trump previously describing NATO as a “paper tiger” and warning of possible repercussions. He also announced a reduction of 5,000 U.S. troops in Germany following criticism of the war by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz.
A separate coalition of around 40 countries, led by France and the United Kingdom, has instead become the main forum for discussions on reopening the strait, though only on the condition that hostilities cease.
“That will definitely be discussed during this meeting,” Stenergard said in the southern Swedish city of Helsingborg.
She added that while NATO should “always be careful to create new precedents” in considering a possible role in the Middle East, “it's very important that we make sure that we protect the freedom of navigation because it is fundamental for free trade.”
By Sabian Mammadli







